Steven E. Springer
How to Choose a Divorce Lawyer
The day you got married was the happiest day of your life, or so you thought. Years later, you are left wondering where you went wrong and how many mistakes brought you to this point. You are ready to get out and the only answer is divorce. Yet, you have already second guessing previous life decisions, you may be worried that your next decision will be a bad one as well. Divorce is life altering and without the right legal counsel, the outcome can leave you in a worse spot than you are in currently.
What Can Go Wrong?
California divorce is at minimum a six month process. It can take much longer if the separation is contentious. If you have a lawyer that you cannot agree on topics or can not even stand the sound of their voice, it is best not to pursue a business relation with that attorney as answering phone calls and arranging meetings will become a chore you do not want to do. However, say that they looked and sounded great and you all had a wonderful connection but they had little to no experience, that should also send up warning flags. One wrong move could result in a decision that you will have to live with for at least a few years. For example:
- Spousal support costs may not suit your needs;
- Child support payments need adjusting immediately; and
- You could lose everything.
Warning Signs That You Have the Wrong Attorney
So maybe you have already hired an attorney, but your instincts are telling you that maybe this is not the way the process is supposed to proceed. If you are at all questioning your decision in an attorney, that should be taken to heart. Your instincts are some of the best indicators of someone’s ability. However, there are a few other warning signs you should be on the lookout for:
- Unresponsiveness to your communication;
- Excessive billing;
- Unable to remember the specifics of your case;
- Unfamiliar with the court process;
- Condescending; or
- A bully.
How to Choose the Right Attorney
Again, trust your instincts. If you get along with the person and they seem knowledgeable and truly interested in your case, then you may have found a winner. Some great things to look for during your initial consultation:
- The attorney you are consulting with (in short, interviewing) maintains eye contact for a respectable amount of time;
- Response time to any communication leading up to and after the consult is in a timely manner;
- The firm practices the type of divorce you wish to pursue;
- They listen attentively without interruption;
- You feel like your story was really heard and remembered; and
- Although being respectful to you, they have a semi-aggressive tactic to not get run over in a courtroom.
Whether you are just starting out in the divorce process or are considering hiring new representation, it is always a good idea to find someone who you can work closely with. You want someone who will fight for you in a court of law to get you everything that you deserve. It is also important to hire someone with extensive knowledge of divorce proceedings and have decades of experience to show for it. If you are in the Morgan Hill, San Jose, or Fremont, CA area and are searching for an aggressive San Jose, CA divorce attorney, call The Law Offices of Steven E. Springer today at 408-779-4700. We offer free consultations to all new clients and are ready and willing to assist you in winning your case.